Public Health Nurse
A public health nurse nurtures, protects, and promotes health and wellness in our community, typical hours are Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:40 p.m.. A principal goal of public health nursing is to address the health disparities within marginalized communities by focusing on the environmental, physical, and social determinants of health. Working for social justice is a key aspect of the public health nurse, who promotes change through policy reform, community building, and system-level interventions.
As part of the Health Department team, contributes to public health preparedness, communications, performance management, and quality improvement.
• Provide essential public health nursing functions in the foundational areas of communicable disease control, chronic disease and injury prevention, maternal & child health, environmental public health, and access to and linkage with clinical care
• Apply public health theory for decision-making within the framework of the nursing process, in accordance with the scope of the Wisconsin Nurse Practice Act.
• Collaborate with health department team and key community stakeholders to plan and implement public health programs that align with the Community Health Improvement Plan
• Provide public health nursing assessments, plans, interventions, and evaluations in accordance with department policies and procedures.
• Collect, analyze, and use data to guide public health nursing programs.
• Provide education to individuals, families, and the community and provide referrals for access and linkages with clinical care.
• Create and support strong partnerships with public health community partners across various disciplines.
• Advocate and promote for health improvement and address health inequity in the community.
• Develop, exercise, and maintain preparedness and response strategies and plans.
• Assist with budget management of assigned public health programs.
Reports to Public Health Supervisor-Nursing and works in close partnership with other public health nurses on goals and objectives. Works collaboratively with all staff, community partners, and customers.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
o Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with colleagues, community members, and key stakeholders.
o Knowledge of health equity and trauma-informed care practices.
o Knowledge of and ability to implement Foundational Public Health Services Model and Public Health 3.0.
o Ability to develop and present effective written and oral reports.
o Ability to develop educational materials for the public.
o Experience using relevant computer software programming such as WEDSS, WIR, Canva, Constant Contact, Microsoft Office Suite, Nightingale Notes, Zoom.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Required: Bachelor’s degree in Nursing from a nursing program accredited by the National Profession Nursing Education Accrediting Organization.
Experience in public health nursing preferred.
Licenses: Valid Wisconsin Registered Nurse License
Valid Wisconsin State Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.
Deadline Note: Position open until filled please submit application and resume to Juneau County Human Resources