Purpose of the Position
The purpose of the Maintenance Technician is to perform building (HVAC, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, etc.) and grounds (lawn care, snow removal, landscaping, etc.) maintenance repairs and installation tasks for the Sauk County Health Care Center.
*This is a part time position working approximately 24 hours per week.
**Qualified candidate must be fully vaccinated or have an exemption.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Monitor and perform routine maintenance on Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) by lubricating motors and belts, changing filters, repairing boilers, etc.
• Repair or replace faucets, sinks, flush valves, toilets, vacuum breakers, water filters, drinking fountains, water softeners, P-traps, water valves, eye wash stations, wheel chair washer, spa tubs
• Perform sewer cleaning with chemical as well as mechanical sewer cleaning techniques such as augers
• Test, repair and troubleshoot AC & DC electrical equipment from millivolts to 440 volts
• Repair light switches, outlets, light fixtures, lamps, ballasts, motors, programmable logic controllers, breakers, fuses, relays
• Install and program telephones, TV’s, data cables, electronic door latching systems, Roam alert resident alarm system, nurse call system, and fire alarm system
• Make structural repairs, as well as repairs to windows, handrails, furniture, equipment and new installations, door hardware (hinges, locks, latches, closers, etc.)
• Repairs or replace vinyl tile, ceramic tile, and carpet
• Repair and maintain our fleet of vehicles and equipment consisting of oil changes, greasing, brakes, tires, bearings, hoses, belts, etc.
• Repair and maintain laundry equipment consisting of commercial and residential washing machines and commercial natural gas dryers
• Repair and maintain kitchen equipment consisting of gas and electric ovens, steamer, steam kettle, potato peeler, garbage disposal units, hot and cold pass through units, refrigerators, freezers, ice machines, dishwashers, and walk-in cooler & freezer
• Assist housekeeping with periodic cleaning, such as shampooing carpets and washing windows
• Assist with grounds keeping, such as lawn mowing, weeding, mulching, raking, trimming shrubs, planting, watering, and snow removal from sidewalks, parking lots, and salt spreading for ice removal
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
• Repair and maintain patient beds, wheelchairs, patient lifts, therapy equipment, blood pressure meters, oxygen tanks, etc.
• Running errands for other departments such as lab specimens to the hospital, shredding bins to Baraboo, or picking up food items for dietary
• Assisting resident families with moving furniture and belongings in or out of the facility
• And other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with Sauk County Health Care Center personnel, residents, and contractors
• Advisory data and information such as technical operating manuals, maintenance requests, equipment maintenance schedules and records, blueprints, electrical diagrams, service logs, equipment repair manuals, vehicle maintenance manuals and routine and non-routine correspondence
• Explain, demonstrate, and clarify to others established policies, procedures, and standards
• Knowledge of computer skills, such as word processing and spreadsheets
• Adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, and calculating percentages, fractions, and decimals
• Mental ability to compare, count, differentiate, measure, sort, classify, compute, tabulate, and/or categorize data and/or information
• Assemble, copy, record, and transcribe data and/or information
• Analyze data and information using established criteria to define consequences and consider and select alternatives
• Apply functional and situational reasoning by exercising judgement, decisiveness, and creativity in everyday routine and non-routine situations
• Physical ability to use fine and gross motor skills to perform tasks such as operating mechanic hand tools, carpentry tools, snow shovels, drill press, cutting torch, welder, ax, shovels, rakes, vacuum cleaners, carpet extractors, electrical & pneumatic test equipment, and power equipment such as lawn mowers, trimmers, chain saws, and snow blowers
• Exert effort in moderate to heavy work, such as lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, stooping, crouching, crawling, climbing, balancing, and standing for long periods of time
• Recognize and identify degrees of similarity and differences between characteristics of colors, forms, sounds, odors, textures, etc. associated with objects, materials, and ingredients
• Moderately unsafe and uncomfortable in respects to noise, temperature variations, odors, toxic agents, and dust
Required Working Hours
Standard working hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am until 4:30 pm. Please note these hours are subject to change and additional hours may be needed or required. Compensation for additional hours beyond normal working hours are subject to applicable state and federal regulations.
Education and Experience Requirements
Required: High School diploma or equivalent
Valid Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Operator’s License
1 year building maintenance experience
Preferred: Associate’s degree in a building maintenance related field
Any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.