Licensed Practical Nurse
The purpose of the Licensed Practical Nurse is to perform Licensed Practical Nurse care tasks and direct and supervise Certified Nursing Assistants at the Sauk County Health Care Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Prepare and administer prescribed medication to residents and monitor the response to the medicine.
• Provide comfort to emotionally distressed residents and residents’ families.
• Train and supervise Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs), discuss care plans, evaluations, promotions, and discipline.
• Monitor resident’s condition and reports any changes to the Registered Nurse (RN) as well as during shift changes.
• Record nursing tasks accomplished to resident’s records as well as goal summaries and any activity involvement of the resident and document in the Electronic Charting System (ECS).
• Accompany physician on rounds and transcribe physician’s orders.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
• Consult with physical therapists to develop restorative nursing/range of motion program.
• Order and stock pharmaceutical supplies and medication.
• And other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Maintain all relevant certifications.
• Maintain up to date knowledge on nursing best practices.
• To manage, direct, teach, control, counsel, mediate, convince and persuade others.
• Advisory data and information such as medical charts, Physician’s Desk Reference, Nursing Drug Reference, incident/accident reports, admission and discharge documents for residents, laws, ordinances, regulations, various manuals, and routine and non-routine correspondence.
• Verbally and in writing with Department personnel, residents, residents’ families, physicians, social workers, pharmacists, psychologists, health care regulators, and visitors.
• Explain, demonstrate, and clarify to others established policies, procedures, and standards.
• Computer skills, such as word processing and spreadsheets.
• Calculating percentages, fractions, decimals, volume, ratios, and spatial relationships, and interpreting basic descriptive statistical reports.
• Analyze data and information using established criteria to define consequences and consider and select alternatives.
• Compare, count, differentiate, measure, sort, classify, compute, tabulate, and/or categorize data and/or information.
• Assemble, copy, record, and transcribe data and/or information.
• Apply functional and situational reasoning by exercising judgement, decisiveness, and creativity in everyday routine and non-routine situations.
• Use fine and gross motor skills to perform tasks such as operating a syringe, one touch glucometer, nebulizer, feeding pumps, nasal tubes, otoscope, sphygmomanometer, IV pump, and computer keyboard.
• Exert effort in moderate to heavy work, such as lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, stooping, crouching, crawling, climbing, balancing, and standing for long periods of time.
• Recognize and identify degrees of similarity and differences between characteristics of colors, forms, sounds, odors, textures, etc. associated with objects, materials, and ingredients.
• Occasionally unsafe and uncomfortable in respects to temperature variations, odors, toxic agents, noise, and disease.
• Occasionally on call for emergencies.
Required Working Hours
Standard working hours may vary between first shift, second shift, and third shift. Please note these hours are subject to change and additional hours may be needed or required. Reimbursement for such additional hours are subject to state and federal regulations.
Education and Experience Requirements
Required: Licensed Practical Nurse License
Preferred: Nursing experience with the geriatric population
Any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
Sauk County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.