Position Summary & Duties
The purpose of the Finance Director is to plan, direct, implement, and monitor overall financial accounting and auditing, implement accounting policies and procedures, and advise County officials and employees regarding financial decisions for Vernon County.
• Draft and propose financial accounting policies and practices by researching, analyzing,
and implementing accepted governmental accounting policies and procedures.
• Act as a resource for county finances and accounting information and present county
finances to various people.
• Prepare and present financial reports.
• Assist in preparing the overall county budget by explaining the budget process to
department heads, compiling budget materials, reviewing proposals, and impact
• Oversee the County accounting functions such as payroll, accounts payable, journal
entries, and general ledger management.
• Coordinate annual audit of overall County financial activity.
• Calculate employee pay increases, contract settlements, and claim settlements, and
their impact on the budget.
• Direct and perform internal audits, cost comparisons, financial investment comparisons,
and assist with long range planning.
• Develop Finance Committee agenda.
Education and Training Requirements
Required: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or another related field; 5+ years financial
management experience. Preferred: 2 years financial management experience in government
Any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills
and abilities may be considered.
The 2021 annual salary range for this full-time (80 hours bi-weekly), non-exempt position is $79,352 to $87,609. A comprehensive benefit package is offered to county employees including health insurance, flex spending account, dependent care reimbursement, pension plan, deferred compensation, dental, vision, short-term disability, life insurance, critical illness insurance, cancer insurance, accident insurance and paid holidays, and paid time off.
Application materials may be found at www.vernoncounty.org under employment opportunities or by contacting Human Resources:
Direct: 608-637-5303 or email: [email protected]