Economic Support Specialist
This position determines the eligibility of applicants and recipients for county and consortium residents within the Income Maintenance consortium for public assistance programs; to determine sources, types, and levels of assistance available by law and take proper action to issue benefits and conduct case management activities to eligible clients requesting such programs and services.
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be required and assigned.
• Works and interacts directly with applicants and recipients through to determine appropriate assistance for all Income Maintenance programs, including FoodShare and Medical Assistance, in addition to Wisconsin Shares Child Care Subsidy, and the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Programs; also collects, verifies, and documents necessary information such as income, expenses and assets.
• Interprets and applies established policies, regulations, and processes, as standard practice in the accurate determination of eligibility and issuance of benefits within the specified time frames set by County, Consortium, state and federal regulations.
• Completes data entry of client-specific information utilizing multiple state databases and systems, including use of data queries from state and Federal sources in order to maintain program integrity including referring cases for possible fraud determination.
• Explains regulations, rules, and policies to consumers, and apprises them of their rights, responsibilities, and eligibility for participation.
• Serves as an agent for the virtual and regional call center; responds to general and case-specific inquiries while maintaining a comprehensive call flow.
• Assess individuals and families to makes referrals to other units within the agency as well as to outside agencies as appropriate.
• Prepares for and attends Fair Hearings.
• Maintains all files, records, and documentation as required by state and fed guidelines.
• Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• Associates Degree in the area of human services, finance, legal, or related field and two years’ experience in an office setting, with direct customer experience; OR high school diploma/equivalent and four years’ experience in an office setting, with direct customer experience
• Call center and/or phone experience preferred.
• Experience with technology, systems and interpretation of state/federal policies preferred.
• Must completed Income Maintenance New Worker Training within 6 months from date of hire.
• Must successfully pass criminal and caregiver certifications.
Posting Pay Range:$23.31 – $31.38
Posting Expected Pay Range: $23.31 – $26.12
Department: Health and Human Services – Economic Support