Deputy Director Human Services
JOB TITLE: Deputy Director REVISED DATE: -September 2020
DEPARTMENT: Juneau County Department of Human Services
DIRECT REPORT TO: Human Services Director
A. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND GENERAL STATEMENT
OF DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Advisor to the Director. Assist the Human Services Director in planning, supervising and coordinating agency programs and personnel.
• Provide for the management and direction of an assigned Human Services staff consisting of social workers and other related Human Services department staff, providing general oversight of programs, and directing staff as necessary in the absence of managers. Supervise assigned Support Services staff.
• Perform administrative and programmatic duties in assisting and as assigned by the Director.
• Oversee the Juneau County Adult Drug Court and directly supervise the Adult Drug Court Coordinator.
• Assist in department budget preparation. Prepare, monitor and manage the Juneau County Adult Drug Court budget and ensure the proper and timely completion of all related reports, requirements and regulations.
• Under the supervision of the Human Services Director, the Deputy Director provides general supervision of the integral operations of the units within the Human Services Department; helps coordinate the annual planning process; supervises the development of new or additional programs, including securing funding for programs; serves as a resource to the Human Services Board and the Board’s sub-committees; and oversees the letting and monitoring of all service contracts.
• In absence of Director, supervise the operation of the Human Services Department.
• Respond to other agencies and the public regarding situational and program problems.
• Develop requests for proposals for purchase of service contracts, and assist in decision of awards.
• Troubleshoot conflicts or problems that develop with contract agencies and agency staff.
• Coordinate annual plan and report to the County Board.
• Assist in development of job descriptions, hiring, and interviewing.
• Assist in development of agency policies and procedures.
• Provide reports to the Human Services Board and sub-committees and attend assigned meetings.
• Under the guidance and direction of agency Director, provide information to other agencies, the public and the press.
• Delegate project assignments.
• Troubleshoot and be part of the Electronic Health Records team to create new forms, events, and flows.
• Assist the billing specialists with questions, concerns, process changes for billing insurance companies and maintaining billing processes for Human Services.
• Consult with and provide guidance to managers/supervisors and staff on program and client issues.
• Attend and monitor client staffing as necessary. Assist Director in identifying and addressing high cost exposures for Juneau County.
• Maintain consistent, predictable contact with agency personnel, an awareness of the status of high risk cases, and ensure continuity and effectiveness of the department’s services in conformity with applicable laws and County policies and procedures.
B. QUALIFICATIONS /EDUCATION /EXPERIENCE
• Thorough knowledge of sound supervisory principles.
• Thorough knowledge of administrative principles.
• Considerable knowledge of principles and current practices in the field of social services, mental health, developmental disabilities and Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse (AODA) services.
• Knowledge of general accounting and budgetary procedures.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to plan work in an organized fashion.
• Considerable knowledge of Federal and State laws and regulations as they pertain to a human services setting.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion in developing, applying and interpreting program policies and procedures.
• Minimum of a Master’s degree in Social Work, Psychology or related field. Must be a Wisconsin licensed Clinician (i.e. LCSW, LPC, Marriage & Family Therapist, etc.) or obtain such licensure within three years of hire date.
• Five years supervisory experience in a managerial position in a social services, mental health, developmental disability or AODA system.
• Must possess basic computer skills
C. ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION
Ability to do periodic light lifting is required. Must have a valid Wisconsin Driver’s license and vehicle insurance.
Juneau County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective employees and incumbents to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
This position description has been prepared to assist in defining job responsibilities, physical demands, working conditions and skills needed to perform duties adequately. It is not intended as a complete list of job duties, responsibilities and/or essential functions. This description is not intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The County retains and reserves any and all rights to change, modify, amend, add to or delete from any section of this document as it deems, in its judgment, to be proper.
Deadline Note: please submit application and resume