Court Clerk I
St. Croix County, Wisconsin is seeking a full time Court Clerk I to provide confidential, skilled legal support work for the Circuit Court system providing services to the courts, general public and attorneys. This includes preparing cases, drafting and processing various legal documents, maintaining court official calendars, participating in court proceedings, and accurately updating and maintaining official paper and electronic records, and other related duties.
• Assist judges, public, attorneys and other agencies with information, completing forms, filings, and court rules.
• Assist with daily case management of court files, including creating and maintaining computer records, and complying with the statutes under the supervision of the Clerk of Court.
• Prepare cases for appeal to Court of Appeals and Supreme Court.
• Performs customer service, case management and jury back-up duties for department as needed.
• Schedule hearings as directed by court official.
• Monitor case deadlines; supervises file management and maintains case files confidentiality.
• Perform court room duties, including marking and tracking exhibits, swearing in witnesses, locating parties relevant to hearing, preparing and reading bonds, taking minutes of court hearings, preparing notices to parties regarding next hearing date, conducting small claims initial appearances and referring cases to mediation, as necessary.
• Administer oaths as required by statute.
• Enter judgments, orders, liens, warrants, writs, and bond payments, etc.
• Docket and review incoming documents and determines action by routing to appropriate party or processing according to department and statutory processes.
• Drafts letters and court orders, prepares legal documents, including temporary restraining orders, injunctions, orders to seal records, name changes, warrants, judgments of conviction, etc.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• Associates degree in a paralegal, legal support, clerical field, administrative assistant or related field with three (3) year’s clerical work experience.
• Previous customer services experience required.
• Previous work experience in a law enforcement or legal setting preferred.
• Previous bookkeeping/accounting experience preferred.
• Must successfully pass criminal background check.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
• Must be bondable.
To view the complete position description and to apply please visit www.sccwi.gov and click on Jobs.