DEPARTMENT: GREEN LAKE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
LOCATION: GOVERNMENT CENTER
SUPERVISOR: CORRECTIONS ADMINISTRATOR
PAY GROUP: 12
Under the general supervision of the Corrections Administrator maintains and oversees the daily operations of the Correctional Facility, working a schedule in accordance with the needs of the Sheriff’s Office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (ILLUSTRATIVE AND NOT INCLUSIVE)
• Books and releases inmates insuring adherence to appropriate paperwork.
• Performs security checks on inmates as required by policy; logs checks; refers inmates for medical situations.
• Maintains jail log and jail records; performs required data entry.
• Regulates visitation, regulates other activities for inmates.
• Monitors activity of Huber inmates, performing check-ins and check-outs, verifying continuing Huber status.
• Serves meals; removes meal trays.
• Maintains the jail; contacts appropriate staff in the event of needed maintenance.
• Operates the intoximeter; radio, video and audio recording systems; monitors alarm systems; assists with Community Service and Electronic Monitoring Program.
• Transports inmates to designated locations, as assigned.
• Performs other duties, as assigned.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with various officials, agencies, co-workers, and the general public on a daily basis in a positive manner.
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing in English.
• Ability to understand, retain and follow written oral instruction in English.
• Thorough knowledge of the operations and requirements of a Sheriff’s Office to ensure efficient and effective operation at all times.
• Ability to react quickly, efficiently, and calmly in an emergency situation and adopt an effective course of action.
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality in all aspects of job functions.
• Working knowledge of County and Sheriff’s Office rules, policies and procedures with the ability and skill to apply them to various situations.
• Proficient skill entering information into a computer, ability to use computer software; ability to accurately type 30 wpm
• Ability to apply Law Enforcement and correctional policies, practices, and procedures in a variety of situations.
• Knowledge of criminal law
• Ability to act confidentially, performing assignments with accuracy, patience, tact, integrity, use of good discretion and courtesy; ability to exercise good judgment.
• Ability to meet department standards of physical condition.
• Ability to deal effectively with addicted persons and emotionally disturbed individuals.
• Skill in the use of general office equipment, including but not limited to: calculator, copy machine, computer terminal, TIME System and all other software programs used by the Sheriff’s Office, fax machine, telephone, handcuffs, pepper spray, intoximeter, Taser, video and audio recording systems, alarm systems, radio, RACC and REACT Belts, card scan.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or equivalent. Post high school education preferred.
EXPERIENCE / JOB KNOWLEDGE: Civil or military law enforcement work or any equivalent combination of education or experience which provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities. Must possess and maintain a valid Wisconsin Driver’s License. Visual acuity must be correctable to 20/20. Must obtain CPR, AED, TIME System, and Corrections Officer Certification within one year of hire
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Approximately 90% of the time is spent walking, standing, sitting, talking, hearing, using near and far vision and medium fingering for typing/data entry. Kneeling, stooping, grappling and crouching are performed about 10% of the time. Other actions may be required in unusual or non-regular situations. The Department reserves the right to assess the medical and physical fitness of each employee’s ability to fully perform the expected duties of the position.
ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS: 95% of the time will be inside and will involve contact with other workers and inmates. Up to 5% of the time could be spent out of the building when conducting transports.