A new report issued on April 15, 2019 by Forward Analytics, Falling Behind: Migration Changes and State Workforce, reveals troubling trends for the future...(read more)
Town of Reserve, Washburn County; Photographer: Michelle Thielke
- County Seat:
- Shell Lake
- Contact Info:
10 4th Ave.
Shell Lake, WI 54871
- County Info:
- Washburn County, created in 1883 from Burnett County, is named after Cadwallader Washburn, a Civil War colonel, Wisconsin governor, U.S. congressman, and president of the State Historical Society. Located in northwest Wisconsin, the county seat is Shell Lake.
- WCA District:
- Land Area:
- 809.7 sq. miles
- 1,230 ft. at Shell Lake
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 31,265 acres (48.85 sq. miles)
- Brill, Clam, Namekagon, Totagatic, Yellow
- Major Watershed:
- St. Croix River (North), Chippewa River (South)
- Geographical Province:
- North: Northern Highland; Central and South: Central Plain
- Northern two-thirds: Jack pine and prairie grasses; areas of black spruce, tamarack and cedar interspersed with white and red pine. Southern third: Maple, hemlock and yellow birch.
- 1930: 11,103