The Wisconsin Counties Association debuted their video, "A Day in the Life of Counties," on Monday, September 23 at their 2019 WCA Annual Conference in...(read more)
Town of Conover, Vilas County; Photographer: Frank Cademartori
- County Seat:
- Eagle River
- Contact Info:
330 Court St.
Eagle River, WI 54521
- County Info:
- Vilas County, created in 1893 from Oneida County, is named for William Vilas, a Civil War officer, postmaster general, secretary of the interior and Wisconsin senator. Located in northeast Wisconsin, the county seat is Eagle River.
- WCA District:
- North Central
- Land Area:
- 868 sq. miles
- 1,647 ft. at Eagle River; 1,869 ft. at Monahan Lake Fire Tower; 1,845 ft. at Muskellunge Hill
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 93,923 acres (146.7 sq. miles)
- Manitowish, Trout, Wisconsin, Eagle
- Major Watershed:
- Lake Superior (North), Chippewa River (West), Wisconsin River (East)
- Geographical Province:
- Northern Highland
- Northern half: Maple, hemlock and yellow birch. Southern half: White and red pine, areas of black spruce, tamarack and cedar. Northeast: Small area of jack pine and prairie grasses.
- 1930: 7,294