Join the Wisconsin Counties Association, alongside WCA General Counsel Andy Phillips of von Briesen & Roper, s.c., in the second episode of "County...(read more)
Town of Bowler, Shawano County; Photographer: Linda Miller
- County Seat:
- Contact Info:
311 N. Main St.
Shawano, WI 54166
- County Info:
- Shawano County, created in 1853 from Oconto County, is named for a Chippewa word meaning "southern." Located in Northeast Wisconsin, the county seat is Shawano.
- WCA District:
- North Central
- Land Area:
- 892.6 sq. miles
- 821 ft. at Shawano
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 8,912 acres (13.93 sq. miles)
- Embarrass, Oconto, Pensaukee, Pigeon, Red, Shioc, Wolf
- Major Watershed:
- Wisconsin River (West), Lake Michigan (East)
- Geographical Province:
- Northwest: Northern Highland; Central: Central Plain; East: Eastern Ridges and Lowlands
- Mostly maple, hemlock and yellow birch. Northeast, North Central, South Central, East: Large areas of black spruce, tamarack and cedar.
- 1930: 33,516