The Wisconsin Counties Association debuted their video, "A Day in the Life of Counties," on Monday, September 23 at their 2019 WCA Annual Conference in...(read more)
Town of Bowler, Shawano County; Photographer: Linda Miller
- County Seat:
- Contact Info:
311 N. Main St.
Shawano, WI 54166
- County Info:
- Shawano County, created in 1853 from Oconto County, is named for a Chippewa word meaning "southern." Located in Northeast Wisconsin, the county seat is Shawano.
- WCA District:
- North Central
- Land Area:
- 892.6 sq. miles
- 821 ft. at Shawano
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 8,912 acres (13.93 sq. miles)
- Embarrass, Oconto, Pensaukee, Pigeon, Red, Shioc, Wolf
- Major Watershed:
- Wisconsin River (West), Lake Michigan (East)
- Geographical Province:
- Northwest: Northern Highland; Central: Central Plain; East: Eastern Ridges and Lowlands
- Mostly maple, hemlock and yellow birch. Northeast, North Central, South Central, East: Large areas of black spruce, tamarack and cedar.
- 1930: 33,516