Join us at the 2018 WCA Annual Conference, September 23-25, 2018 in La Crosse County at the La Crosse Center and Radisson Hotel La Crosse. View all event...(read more)
Town of Hayward, Sawyer County; Photographer: Nicole Lester
- County Seat:
- Contact Info:
10610 Main St.
Hayward, WI 54843
- County Info:
- Sawyer County, created in 1883 from Ashland and Chippewa Counties, is named after Philetus Saywer, a Wisconsin Representative and Senator. Located in northwest Wisconsin, the county seat is Hayward.
- WCA District:
- Land Area:
- 1,256.5 sq. miles
- 1,198 ft. at Hayward; 1,801 ft. at Meteor Hill
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 56,183 acres (87.79 sq. miles)
- Brunet, Chippewa, Couderay, Flambeau, Little Thornapple, Moose, Namekagon, Thornapple, Totagatic
- Major Watershed:
- Chippewa River, St. Croix River (Northwest corner)
- Geographical Province:
- Northern Highland; Far West: Central Plain
- Mostly maple, hemlock and yellow birch. North Central and Northeast: Areas of white and red pine. Northwest Corner: Conifer swamp. Northwest: Thin strip of jack pine and prairie grasses.
- 1930: 8,878