The Wisconsin Counties Association debuted their video, "A Day in the Life of Counties," on Monday, September 23 at their 2019 WCA Annual Conference in...(read more)
Town of Hayward, Sawyer County; Photographer: Nicole Lester
- County Seat:
- Contact Info:
10610 Main St.
Hayward, WI 54843
- County Info:
- Sawyer County, created in 1883 from Ashland and Chippewa Counties, is named after Philetus Saywer, a Wisconsin Representative and Senator. Located in northwest Wisconsin, the county seat is Hayward.
- WCA District:
- Land Area:
- 1,256.5 sq. miles
- 1,198 ft. at Hayward; 1,801 ft. at Meteor Hill
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 56,183 acres (87.79 sq. miles)
- Brunet, Chippewa, Couderay, Flambeau, Little Thornapple, Moose, Namekagon, Thornapple, Totagatic
- Major Watershed:
- Chippewa River, St. Croix River (Northwest corner)
- Geographical Province:
- Northern Highland; Far West: Central Plain
- Mostly maple, hemlock and yellow birch. North Central and Northeast: Areas of white and red pine. Northwest Corner: Conifer swamp. Northwest: Thin strip of jack pine and prairie grasses.
- 1930: 8,878