The Wisconsin Counties Association debuted their video, "A Day in the Life of Counties," on Monday, September 23 at their 2019 WCA Annual Conference in...(read more)
Camp Douglas, Monroe County; Photographer: Wendy Murkve
- County Seat:
- Contact Info:
112 S. Court St.
Sparta, WI 54656
- County Info:
- Monroe County, created in 1854 from La Crosse County, is named after James Monroe, the 5th President of the United States. Located in southwest Wisconsin, the county seat is Sparta.
- WCA District:
- Land Area:
- 900.9 sq. miles
- 793 ft. at Sparta; 1,410 ft. at Wadels Hill; 1,360 ft. at Castle Rock
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 3,437 acres (5.37 sq. miles)
- Baraboo, Black, Kickapoo, La Crosse, Little La Crosse, Lower Lemonweir
- Major Watershed:
- Mississippi River (West); Wisconsin River (East)
- Geographical Province:
- Northeast Corner: Central Plain; Central and Southwest: Western Upland
- Northwest corner and small area in North Central: White and red pine. North Central: Mostly jack pine and prairie grasses next to white, black and red oak. Northeast corner: Conifer swamp. East Central: Oak savanna. Southeast: White, black and red oak. South Central: Sugar maple, basswood and elm. Southwest: Small area of sedge meadow.
- 1930: 28,739