The Wisconsin Counties Association debuted their video, "A Day in the Life of Counties," on Monday, September 23 at their 2019 WCA Annual Conference in...(read more)
Town of Cornucopia, Bayfield County; Photographer: Chad Briesemeister
- County Seat:
- Contact Info:
117 E. 5th St.
Washburn, WI 54891
- County Info:
- Bayfield County (originally LaPointe County), created in 1845 from Ashland County, is named after Henry Bayfield, the British Naval Lieutenant who made the first survey of the Great Lakes area.
- WCA District:
- Land Area:
- 1,476.25 sq. miles
- Water Area:
- 565.28 sq. miles
- 654 ft. at Washburn; 1,368 ft. at Bayfield Lookout Tower
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 22,629 acres (35.36 sq. miles)
- East Fork Iron, Flag, Iron, Marengo, Namekagon, Oune, Sand, Sioux
- Major Watershed:
- Lake Superior, St. Croix River (Southwest)
- Geographical Province:
- Northern Highlands; North and East: Lake Superior Lowlands
- Southeast and South Central: Maple, hemlock and yellow birch forests; small areas of white and red pine; conifer swamps of black spruce, tamarack and cedar. Northern coast: Balsam fir, white spruce. North: Red pine, white pine, jack pine and prairie grasses.
- 1930: 15,006