The Wisconsin Counties Association debuted their video, "A Day in the Life of Counties," on Monday, September 23 at their 2019 WCA Annual Conference in...(read more)
Town of Wausau, Marathon County; Photographer: Tom Mortenson
- County Seat:
- Contact Info:
500 Forest St.
Wausau, WI 54403
- County Info:
- Marathon County, created in 1850 from Portage County, is named after the Greek city of Marathon. Located in central Wisconsin, the county seat is Wausau.
- WCA District:
- North Central
- Land Area:
- 1,545.1 sq. miles
- 1,195 ft. at Wausau; 1,941 ft. at Queen's Chair on Rib Mountain (fourth highest point in Wisconsin); 1,606 ft. at Upper Mosinee Hill
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 19,762 acres (30.88 sq. miles)
- Big Eau Pleine, Big Rib, Eau Claire, Little Eau Claire, Little Rib, Plover, Trappe, Wisconsin
- Major Watershed:
- Wisconsin River with a portion of Eastern Marathon County draining to the Wolf River/St. Lawrence Waterway
- Geographical Province:
- Northern Highland
- Mostly maple, hemlock and yellow birch with a narrow strip of white and red pine in the center. Southwest: Small area of conifer swamp.
- 1930: 70,629