The Wisconsin Counties Association (WCA) is commending the bi-partisan work of the Speaker's Task Force on Water Quality, which released its findings on...(read more)
Town of Wausau, Marathon County; Photographer: Tom Mortenson
- County Seat:
- Contact Info:
500 Forest St.
Wausau, WI 54403
- County Info:
- Marathon County, created in 1850 from Portage County, is named after the Greek city of Marathon. Located in central Wisconsin, the county seat is Wausau.
- WCA District:
- North Central
- Land Area:
- 1,545.1 sq. miles
- 1,195 ft. at Wausau; 1,941 ft. at Queen's Chair on Rib Mountain (fourth highest point in Wisconsin); 1,606 ft. at Upper Mosinee Hill
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 19,762 acres (30.88 sq. miles)
- Big Eau Pleine, Big Rib, Eau Claire, Little Eau Claire, Little Rib, Plover, Trappe, Wisconsin
- Major Watershed:
- Wisconsin River with a portion of Eastern Marathon County draining to the Wolf River/St. Lawrence Waterway
- Geographical Province:
- Northern Highland
- Mostly maple, hemlock and yellow birch with a narrow strip of white and red pine in the center. Southwest: Small area of conifer swamp.
- 1930: 70,629