The Wisconsin Counties Association debuted their video, "A Day in the Life of Counties," on Monday, September 23 at their 2019 WCA Annual Conference in...(read more)
Town of Mauston, Juneau County; Photographer: Cassaundra Huwald
- County Seat:
- Contact Info:
220 E. State St.
Mauston, WI 53948
- County Info:
- Juneau County, created in 1857 from Adams County, is named after Solomon Juneau, who founded a trading post on the site that would become Milwaukee, and later became the first mayor of Milwaukee. Located in South Central Wisconsin, the county seat is Mauston.
- WCA District:
- Land Area:
- 767.61 sq. miles (491,270 acres)
- 883 ft. at Mauston; 1,110 ft. at Petenwell Rock; 1,099 ft. at Necedah Bluff
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 45,950 acres (71.8 sq. miles)
- Baraboo, Lemonweir, Little Lemonweir, Little Yellow, Wisconsin, Yellow
- Major Watershed:
- Wisconsin River (Northwest); Rock River (Southeast); Fox River (North)
- Geographical Province:
- Central Plain; South Central: Western Upland
- Mostly jack pine and prairie grasses. Northwest corner: Sedge meadow. Southern third: Oak savanna. Southwest: White, black and red oak, and an area of sugar maple, basswood and elm.
- 1930: 17,264