Changing demographics. Millennials. The state’s fiscal health. Birth rates. Job creation. The list of issues that impact the direction and trajectory...(read more)
Town of Mauston, Juneau County; Photographer: Cassaundra Huwald
- County Seat:
- Contact Info:
220 E. State St.
Mauston, WI 53948
- County Info:
- Juneau County, created in 1857 from Adams County, is named after Solomon Juneau, who founded a trading post on the site that would become Milwaukee, and later became the first mayor of Milwaukee. Located in South Central Wisconsin, the county seat is Mauston.
- WCA District:
- Land Area:
- 767.61 sq. miles (491,270 acres)
- 883 ft. at Mauston; 1,110 ft. at Petenwell Rock; 1,099 ft. at Necedah Bluff
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 45,950 acres (71.8 sq. miles)
- Baraboo, Lemonweir, Little Lemonweir, Little Yellow, Wisconsin, Yellow
- Major Watershed:
- Wisconsin River (Northwest); Rock River (Southeast); Fox River (North)
- Geographical Province:
- Central Plain; South Central: Western Upland
- Mostly jack pine and prairie grasses. Northwest corner: Sedge meadow. Southern third: Oak savanna. Southwest: White, black and red oak, and an area of sugar maple, basswood and elm.
- 1930: 17,264