The Wisconsin Counties Association (WCA) is commending the bi-partisan work of the Speaker's Task Force on Water Quality, which released its findings on...(read more)
Town of Franklin, Jackson County; Photographer: Chris Hardie
- County Seat:
- Black River Falls
- Contact Info:
307 Main St.
Black River Falls, WI 54615
- County Info:
- Jackson County, created in 1853 from La Crosse County, is named after Andrew Jackson, seventh President of the United States. Located in southwest Wisconsin, the county seat is Black River Falls.
- WCA District:
- Land Area:
- 992.64 sq. miles
- 796 ft. at Black River Falls; 1,405 ft. on the ridge south of Fairchild; 1,404 ft. at West Saddle Mound; 1,330 ft. on the ridge north of North Bend; 1
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 5,004 acres (7.82 sq. miles)
- Black, Buffalo, Trempealeau, East Fork of Black River
- Major Watershed:
- Mississippi River, Wisconsin River (East)
- Geographical Province:
- West: Western Upland; Central and East: Central Plain
- West: Oak savanna. West Central: Expanses of white, black and red oak. Around Black River Falls: Areas of white and red pine; willows, soft maple and ash along the river. East Central: Jack pine and prairie grasses with black spruce, tamarack and cedar. East: Band of red and white pine from north to south, next to a band of black spruce, tamarack and cedar; small area of sedge meadow.
- 1930: 16,468