On June 21, 2018, the United States Supreme Court issued a decision allowing states to require online retailers to collect sales tax regardless of whether...(read more)
Town of Mercer, Iron County; Photographer: Debbi Luby
- County Seat:
- Contact Info:
300 Taconite St.
Hurley, WI 54534
- County Info:
- Iron County, created in 1893 from Ashland and Oneida Counties, is named after the iron deposits found in the area. Located in northwest Wisconsin, the county seat is Hurley.
- WCA District:
- Land Area:
- 757.3 sq. miles
- 1,493 ft. at Hurley; 1,860 ft. at the hill northwest of Iron Belt; 1,819 ft. at Upson Lookout Tower Hill; 1,777 ft. at Trimble Hill; 1,774 ft. at the
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 29,368 acres (45.89 sq. miles)
- Bear, Flambeau, Manitowish, Montreal, Potato, Tyler Forks
- Major Watershed:
- Lake Superior (North), Chippewa River (South)
- Geographical Province:
- Central and South: Northern Highland; North: Lake Superior Lowland
- Maple, hemlock and yellow birch. Southeast: Balsam fir and white spruce. Central: Area of black spruce, tamarack and cedar.
- 1930: 9,993