The Wisconsin Counties Association debuted their video, "A Day in the Life of Counties," on Monday, September 23 at their 2019 WCA Annual Conference in...(read more)
Town of Mercer, Iron County; Photographer: Debbi Luby
- County Seat:
- Contact Info:
300 Taconite St.
Hurley, WI 54534
- County Info:
- Iron County, created in 1893 from Ashland and Oneida Counties, is named after the iron deposits found in the area. Located in northwest Wisconsin, the county seat is Hurley.
- WCA District:
- Land Area:
- 757.3 sq. miles
- 1,493 ft. at Hurley; 1,860 ft. at the hill northwest of Iron Belt; 1,819 ft. at Upson Lookout Tower Hill; 1,777 ft. at Trimble Hill; 1,774 ft. at the
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 29,368 acres (45.89 sq. miles)
- Bear, Flambeau, Manitowish, Montreal, Potato, Tyler Forks
- Major Watershed:
- Lake Superior (North), Chippewa River (South)
- Geographical Province:
- Central and South: Northern Highland; North: Lake Superior Lowland
- Maple, hemlock and yellow birch. Southeast: Balsam fir and white spruce. Central: Area of black spruce, tamarack and cedar.
- 1930: 9,993