A new report issued on April 15, 2019 by Forward Analytics, Falling Behind: Migration Changes and State Workforce, reveals troubling trends for the future...(read more)
Stoughton, Dane County; Photographer: Lisa Fero
- County Seat:
- Contact Info:
215 S. Hamilton St.
Madison, WI 53703
- County Info:
- Dane County, created in 1836 as a territorial county, is named after Nathan Dane of Massachusetts, a delegate to the First Continental Congress, who helped make Wisconsin the last state carved out of the Northwest Territories. Located in central Wisconsin, the county seat is Madison.
- WCA District:
- Land Area:
- 1,239 sq. miles
- Water Area:
- 41.79 sq. miles
- 886 ft. at Dane County Airport
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 21,941 acres (34.28 sq. miles)
- Little Sugar, Sugar, Yahara, Maunesha, Pecatonica
- Major Watershed:
- Rock River, Wisconsin River (Northwest)
- Geographical Province:
- East: Eastern Ridges and Lowlands; Southwest: Western Upland
- Oak savanna, scattered patches of prairie bluestem and composites. Northwest corner and Southeast: Sedge meadows.
- 1930: 112,737