Land Conservation Planner Technician
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
Under the general policy direction of the Land Conservation & Planning /Extension Pepin County Committee (LCC) and the directed assignment supervision of the Land Conservation & Planning Department (LCPD) County Conservationist, this person serves as the initial contact for all programs associated with the Land Conservation & Planning Department and the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS). This person will provide program information and other information to the general public. This person also performs clerical and receptionist duties for the LCPD and NRCS. This person will serve as acting when the County Conservationist is absent from the office and may be required to assist in other activities not listed when requested by the County Conservationist.
DUTIES AND PROGRAM RESPONSIBILITIES
This list of duties is not to be construed as all-inclusive and may be modified as need requires. Special duty assignments will occur.
• This person will coordinate and/or assist in coordination of the following programs:
o Working Lands Initiative/Farmland Preservation Program
o County Buffer Program
o Land and Water Resource Management Program
o County Cost-share Program
o Tree Sales Program
• This position will also coordinate and/or assist in the following activities:
o USDA conservation farm plans
o Occasional work in the county parks
o Educational Outreach Activities
o Develop total resource conservation plans for all land users in the County.
o Design and assist in construction of erosion control best management practices.
o Assist in monitoring compliance with performance standards as directed under Wisconsin administrative rules for non-point source pollution.
o Monitor and track all Farmland Preservation plans and contracts.
o Attend and participate in training sessions and workshops to keep informed on current standards and specifications.
o Provide written reports on planning acres and project summaries.
o Under direction of the Supervisor, this position may at times be required to work overtime hours or shifts
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in Natural Resource Management, Soil Conservation, or related field. Or an Associate degree in Natural Resource Management, Soil Conservation, or related field and minimum 2 years’ experience in resource management, crop consultant, or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities.
• Knowledge of conservation planning tools, standards and specifications.
• Knowledge of GIS based programs.
• This person must become a NRCS certified conservation planner.
• The person should have excellent organizational skills, ability to produce written documents, and ability to communicate well with a variety of clientele.
• Must have ability to deal with the public under adverse conditions.
• Lifts and carries GPS, survey equipment, shovels, and other related equipment.
• Work outside in inclement weather conditions, with some lifting, bending and walking on uneven terrain
• Under direction of the Supervisor, this position may at times be required to work overtime hours or shifts.
• Valid motor vehicle driver’s license is required.
Deadline Note: Application forms may be obtained at: www.co.pepin.wi.us or by contacting Pepin County Personnel Department at 715-672-8704.