The Information Technology Specialist provides the technical expertise to support the Information Technology Department. The IT Specialist will be responsible for providing technical support and assistance to county employees, maintaining hardware and software, and ensuring the security and integrity of the county’s information systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides the technical support required to maintain the existing infrastructure. Technical support includes Operating System (OS) support, mobile devices, end user support and system security.
2. Provides technical support to county employees by diagnosing and resolving hardware, software, network and phone issues for the data and voice infrastructure.
3. Participates in technology-related projects coordinating with other departments and vendors, as necessary.
4. Provides technical assistance, as needed, including potential offsite support for the Arbor Vitae and Boulder Junction satellite offices, Lac du Flambeau Police Department and Eagle River Police Department.
5. Provides support for system and user problems including hardware, software, telephone system and help desk functions.
6. Responsible for the development and maintenance of documentation and cross training of other users on all assigned hardware and software platforms, including security best practices.
7. Provides website assistance, maintenance, and support.
8. Participate in the development and implementation of IT policies, procedures, and best practices to improve efficiency, security, and user satisfaction.
9. Monitor and maintain backups of county data and systems, ensuring the integrity and availability of information in the event of a disaster.
10. Stay current with industry trends and emerging technologies, recommending improvements and upgrades as necessary.
11. Be available for 24/7 response as required.
12. All other duties as assigned.
WORK REQUIREMENTS AND CHARACTERISTICS:
2 Year College Degree – Required in Computer science or related field
Required – Must have or be eligible for possession of a valid Wisconsin driver’s license and required insurance. Must successfully pass background check and other security measures related to law enforcement.
• Certifications such as CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, or Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)preferred.
C. Required Work Experience:
In addition to Education/Licensure –
• Associates degree or a combination of education and experience that provides the skills necessary to perform the duties of the position.
• Must have one to three years of experience relating to hardware and software systems.
• Experience with server administration, virtualization technologies, and cloud-based services is preferred.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS REQUIRED TO PERFORM POSITION:
• An in-depth knowledge of hardware, software, and networking.
• Knowledge of Operating System concepts (OS) including Microsoft Windows, Microsoft M365
• Knowledge of data and voice communication.
• Willingness to continue education and knowledge base in the technology field.
• Familiarity with cybersecurity best practices and tools, such as firewalls, antivirus software, and encryption technologies.
• Must be able to meet deadlines, work accurately and efficiently, and work under pressure.
• Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to troubleshoot complex technical issues.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively explain technical concepts to non-technical users.
• Ability to work independently and cooperatively as needed.
• Excellent documentation and communication skills.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Ability to lift 50-75 lbs.
• Ability to squat, bend, crawl, twist on a regular basis (3-10x/day).
• Some out of County travel may be required (<5%).
Deadline Note: All applicants are required to fill out Vilas County's application. It can be found at www.workforvilascounty.com