The HR/Payroll Coordinator is responsible for performing a wide array of HR-related duties, as well as working closely with the HR Manager in support of all county HR initiatives. Under the direction of the HR Manager, the incumbent performs work in the following functional areas: payroll, benefits, recruitment, compensation administration, employee relations and policy updates/implementation. Primary areas of work emphasis include responsibility for all county payroll and benefits administration, processing and legal compliance work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Maintains and processes payroll, filing of federal, state, local and other payments or filings; processes payroll and benefit adjustments as required; maintains payroll records, prepares calculations for grant applications, including benefits and follow up.
2. Calculates, analyses and prepares all county compensation and benefit costs. Work to include requests from Finance Director as necessary to compile the annual county budget.
3. Drafts, proposes and develops improvements to benefits programs, vendors and offerings as necessary to address recognized employee, County needs and/or improve efficiencies and enhance cost/reward opportunities
4. Informs new employees of County benefits; initiates new hire benefits, interprets benefit policies/provisions/procedures and recommends actions, as well as responds to requests for information and answers questions.
5. Ensures adherence to federal, state, local payroll and benefit regulations and reporting requirements.
6. Prepares bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports (gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.) – IRS, ACA, WRS, W2, 1095, etc.
7. Compiles and submits all required reporting with Federal (including IRS), State and/or local agencies.
8. Performs various journal entries, account reconciliations, and provides general ledger support.
9. Prepares reports as necessary and/or as requested by collecting, analyzing and summarizing data and trends.
10. Reconciles insurance and other benefit billings as required.
11. Administers various human resource plans and procedures for all County personnel.
12. Processes required documents through payroll and insurance providers to ensure accurate record keeping and proper deductions.
13. Administers COBRA benefits/program
14. Performs assigned work related to recruitment efforts for all positions, examples include: posting and advertising approved openings, receiving, reviewing, maintaining and distributing completed employment applications, scheduling interviews (and participating as needed) as well as scheduling pre-employment testing (examples include: pre-employment substance screening, background checks, criminal history checks, references and related candidate follow-up).
15. Conducts new employee orientation. Recommends updates to orientation as needed.
16. As directed by HR Manager, applicable Committee(s) or Department Head(s), prepares and updates job descriptions. Performs work as necessary to maintain legal compliance in conjunction with applicable Committees/Department Head(s).
17. Provides interpretation and information to staff regarding County policies and procedures.
18. Processes Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requests as necessary to maintain compliance with Federal and State requirements. Maintains all FMLA required record keeping.
19. Develops and proposes improvements to policies, programs and procedures to improve the effectiveness of human resources function and County operations.
20. Compiles and assists with the preparation and compliance with the HR department budget.
21. Prepares, updates, and maintains Human Resources forms.
22. Obtains and prepares information for labor negotiations and grievance proceedings as requested.
23. Completes employment verifications.
24. Acts as a first point of contact for employees on general questions regarding benefits, compensation, deductions, timekeeping and payroll.
25. Administers and completes all unemployment claims and reconciles monthly billings, including quarterly filing requirements.
26. Performs other duties as assigned and/or as needed.
WORK REQUIREMENTS AND CHARACTERISTICS:
A. Education/Knowledge: Requires knowledge of a general or technical field such as accounting, information technology, advanced administrative support, data base and other computer applications, mechanics and maintenance. Equivalent to two years of college or an associate degree.
2 Year College Degree is Required/4 Year College Degree is
PHR, CBP and/or related payroll certification is desired
C. Required Work Experience:
In addition to Education/Licensure Requirement – Three to five years’ experience in a similar role, while maintaining strict confidentiality requirements.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS REQUIRED TO PERFORM POSITION:
• Strong computer knowledge with various payroll, timekeeping and HRIS systems.
• Maintain security of confidential matters and materials.
• Work as team player.
• Maintain knowledge of applicable current local, state, and federal laws, rules and regulations.
• Strong employee relationship skills – ability to work with all types of people and issues/concerns.
• Work effectively under tight deadlines and stressful situations.
• Plan and monitor assigned tasks.
• Prioritize tasks efficiently and effectively.
• Possess troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
• Analyze complex information accurately.
• Maintain records and prepare reports.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills