Highway Operator II
This position performs a variety of highway construction and maintenance work to keep the roadways and roadsides safe and in good repair according to standards; operates and transports heavy equipment and performs related work as required.
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be required and assigned.
The duties and responsibilities assigned may vary depending upon the experience of the incumbent.
• Safely operates assigned tucks, heavy construction equipment, machinery and tools for highway and bridge construction and maintenance, construction and maintenance materials handling, and sand and gravel operations.
• Ensures all activities are carried out in a safe manner; adheres to all County safety regulations; assists co-workers in the safe handling of equipment; ensures equipment is safely operated and driving laws are obeyed; ensures all regulations pertaining to the safe use of equipment are understood and followed;
• Reports all accidents to the appropriate authority. Follows all policies for reporting, investigating, and follow-up of equipment incidents, or personal injuries.
• Communicates with other operators to coordinate materials handling and delivery safely.
• Performs necessary maintenance and preventative maintenance to assigned machinery and equipment as directed.
• Responds to weather situations including snow and ice events, high water, washouts, and others as directed.
• Responds to unforeseen emergency situations including cargo spills, traffic accidents, blocked roads, pavement buckles, and others as directed.
• Performs general highway maintenance and related activities including snow and ice removal, temporary and permanent asphalt surface repairs, patching holes, sawing pavement, concrete repairs, sign repairs, clearing brush, hauling materials, flagging traffic, roadway vegetation control, sweeping intersections, routering and sealing road cracks, culvert and drainage work, removing dead animals and trash and buildings and facilities maintenance repairs.
• Measures and places grade and alignment stakes using tapes, measuring devices and construction grade levels.
Records and makes reports for production, plant, inventory, state, federal and other types of reports and/or recordkeeping requirements.
• Operates loader and equipment for stock piling of road salt, sand, gravel, and other materials.
• Ensures all materials, vehicle and equipment are secured and are used in a safe and proper manner whether at job site or on Highway property.
• Performs daily safety and maintenance checks, and preventive maintenance on highway equipment, including greasing, changing oil, performing regular thorough cleaning, and minor repairs.
• Performs snow and ice removal during winter months.
• Assists higher skilled craftsmen as a trainee or helper.
• Cleans and maintains equipment and storage area.
• Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• High School Diploma/equivalent.
• Three (3) years’ experience in the operation of large trucks and equipment in construction and maintenance activities. May require additional experience on specific/identified pieces of specialist equipment.
• Class B CDL required; Class A CDL preferred. Must obtain H and N endorsement within 6 months from date of hire.
• MSHA Certification may be required upon hire based upon assignment of equipment.
• Appointment will be conditional upon successful completion of the following pre-employment drug test.
Pay Range: $24.47 – $32.95
Expected Pay Range: $24.47 – $27.43