Highway Operations Specialist
This position is responsible for executing projects and operations by assisting the Patrol Superintendent with coordinating, planning, organizing, and supervising crew assignments, supplies, material and equipment. This position also trains, performs various inspections, assists with inventory, and budgeting to further assist with department operations.
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be required and assigned.
• Directs the work of and manages their assigned crews. May assist with interviewing and selection of new employees. Provides training and instructions and ongoing training needs. Assigns tasks, reviews work and prepares performance evaluations. Provides staff coaching/counseling. Provides assistance and answers questions, gives advice and recommendations to staff.
• Ensures all activities are carried out in a safe manner; adheres to all County safety regulations; assists co-workers in the safe handling of equipment; ensures equipment is safely operated and driving laws are obeyed; ensures all regulations pertaining to the safe use of equipment are understood and followed;
• Reports all accidents to the appropriate authority. Follows all policies for reporting, investigating, and follow-up of equipment incidents, or personal injuries. May investigate incidents as assigned.
• Provides support to assigned crew and acts as a resource for alternatives and suggestions. Makes critical decisions affecting the outcome of the assigned work and project completion.
• Communicates status and concerns of projects, assignments and crew members to Patrol Superintendent.
• Assists the Patrol Superintendent in the coordination and execution of operational projects and assignments such as establishing crew assignments, supplies, material and equipment.
• Inspects road sections to determine road-repair program priorities.
• Develops and monitors project budgets; assists in planning and organizing maintenance and construction projects including resurfacing, drainage landscaping, grading and bridge work.
• Develops and drafts road closures, detours and traffic plans; develops construction access maps; informs emergency services and the public.
• Responds to emergency situations as needed.
• Inspects bridges for safety and maintenance issues.
• Inventories, inspects, and schedules the maintenance of culverts and bridges under 20 feet.
• Trains and reviews staff work including snow and ice removal activities on the various types of highway systems in the County.
• Contacts the diggers hotline to have locates performed for projects that involve excavation.
• Maintains inventory and authorizes the purchase of culverts, guard rails, erosion control and plow blades.
• Assists with driveway/access permits; performs follow-up inspections.
• Maintains County fuel system
• Updates the small tool and equipment inventory rate lists and assists in completing year-end parts inventory.
• Trains and reviews staff work including snow and ice removal activities on the various types of highway systems and equipment in the County.
• Works on right-of-way permits, overweight, over height and excavation within right-of-way permits; facilitates the removal of right-of-way encroachments.
• Assists with negotiating agreements with residents regarding property damage as assigned.
• Assists County and local government in finding solutions regarding drainage issues.
• Assists with planning and organizing town bridges and culverts qualifying for County aid funding.
• Drafts and updates town snow plowing maps for drivers.
• Views county and town roads and provides recommendations with estimated costs.
• Establishes pavement placement on roads and string for paving projects.
• Prepares bid awards and oversees County contracted work for special projects.
• Modifies and updates permits for County owned pits and quarries.
• Drafts Department of Natural Resources and US Corps of Engineer permits.
• Assists in County vehicle and equipment accident investigations.
• Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• High School Diploma/Equivalent
• Seven years’ work experience in engineering, highway maintenance, or equipment operation, with five (5) of those in a lead worker/foreman capacity.
• Class A CDL required. Must obtain H and N endorsement within 6 months from date of hire
• HazMat certification upon hire.
• Appointment will be conditional upon successful completion of the following pre-employment drug test.