Diesel Highway Mechanic
Under direct supervision of the Fleet and Warehouse Superintendent, maintain, repair and overhaul automobiles, trucks, machinery and equipment used within the Highway Department and other areas as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Performs mechanical repairs and maintenance on equipment and vehicles. Repair activity includes gasoline and diesel engine overhauls, complete transmission work, brakes, hydraulic systems, and electrical systems, including small engines, 70% of the time.
• Supports functions for the Fleet and Warehouse Superintendent, assisting as necessary and responsible for the shop in Fleet and Warehouse Superintendent absence, 10% of the time.
• Moves and transports equipment; assist with picking up parts, 5% of the time.
• Assists with winter plowing; hauling highway materials; upkeep, maintenance and repair of buildings, grounds and equipment, 10% of the time.
• Performs other related duties as assigned by the Commissioner, 5% of the time.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• High mechanical aptitude; ability to repair engines; skill and ability with welding techniques; knowledge of methods used in vehicle repair.
• Knowledge of computer diagnostics.
• Ability to read and follow diagrams and charts used for equipment repairs.
• Extensive knowledge diagnosing and repairing electrical systems, hydraulic systems, brakes and engines of all types.
• Ability to receive, understand and follow written and oral instructions; skill in mechanical aptitude; must be dependable and in good physical condition.
• Ability to work flexible, 40 hour/week schedule to accommodate snow removal on weekends and emergency call-ins, as necessary.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors and the public.
• Skill in the use of small hand and power tools of all kinds, assorted construction and maintenance equipment as needed. Motorized vehicles, material handling equipment, maintenance and snow removal equipment. Assorted personal protective equipment as required.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or GED equivalency, plus 1-2 years Technical or Trade School. Air Brake and A/C certifications.
EXPERIENCE / JOB KNOWLEDGE: 3-5 years’ experience working with heavy truck and equipment OR any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities. Must possess and maintain a valid commercial driver’s license (CDL) license with A, B, C, D, and preferably N endorsements within 6 months of employment.
Deadline Note: Will keep open until filled.