Purpose of the Position
The purpose of the Cook- Health Care Center is to prepare meals, serves food, clean-up for from meals at the Sauk County Health Care Center.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Meal preparation for breakfast, lunch and dinner and special events using menu extensions and standardized recipes.
• Provide meal for service for residents and staff.
• Assist with inventory control and stocking.
• Monitor temperatures of foods and equipment.
• Maintain sanitary conditions by regular housekeeping tasks.
• Wash dishes from special events and meal preparation.
• Complete meal preparation within a pre- designated time schedule.
• Act as a replacement for Food Services Supervisor when absent.
• Use computerized charting system (ECS) to monitor correct diets.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Descriptive data and information such as regulations, requisitions slips, dishwasher temperature logs, menus, food preference lists, cleaning charts, admission and discharge slips for residents, diet manuals, cook books, and routine and non-routine correspondence.
• Communicate verbally and in writing with Department personnel, residents, residents’ families, and dietary staff.
• Explain, demonstrate, and clarify to others established policies, procedures, and standards.
• Computer skills, such as word processing and spreadsheets.
• Adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing.
• Compare, count, differentiate, measure, sort, classify, compute, tabulate, and/or categorize data and/or information.
• Assemble, copy, record, and transcribe data and/or information.
• Analyze data and information using established criteria to define consequences and consider and select alternatives.
• Apply functional and situational reasoning by exercising judgement, decisiveness, and creativity in everyday routine and non-routine situations.
• Use fine and gross motor skills to perform tasks such as operating mixers, kitchen utensils, and other kitchen appliances and accessories.
• Exert effort in moderate to heavy work, such as lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, stooping, crouching, crawling, climbing, balancing, and standing for long periods of time.
Recognize and identify degrees of similarity and differences between characteristics of colors, forms, sounds, odors, textures, etc. associated with objects, materials, and ingredients.
Occasionally unsafe and uncomfortable in respects to temperature variations, odors, toxic agents, noise, and disease.
Required Working Hours
Varied shifts from 6:00 am until 7:00 pm. Please note these hours are subject to change and additional hours may be needed or required. Compensation for additional hours beyond normal working hours are subject to applicable state and federal regulations.
Education and Experience Requirements
Required: High School diploma or equivalent
Preferred: Industrial or commercial food preparation experience
Any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.