Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) – Lafayette County Manor
Job Title: Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
Hours: PRN, Part-Time, or Full-Time positions available
Reports to: Shift Registered Nurse (RN), Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Director of Nursing (DON)
The primary purpose of this job is to provide quality resident care as specified on individualized resident care plan and assignments according to established policies, procedures, and objectives of Lafayette Manor. This includes providing residents with a safe environment, assistance with activities of daily living, emotional and social support, physical comfort measures, and other duties as assigned.
• Certified Nursing Assistant training and current listing on the Wisconsin Nurse Aide Registry, as having no substantiated findings of abuse, neglect or misappropriation of property.
• Maintain registration requirements.
• Minimum of 16 years of age.
• Follows/adheres to organization, Federal/State regulations and guidelines, including Residents Rights.
• Verbally communicate with residents, families, visitors and other staff members.
• Fluently read and write English and document observations.
• Be honest, dependable, and exhibit a warm cheerful, caring manner.
• Maintain a neat, well groomed appearance, adhering to Lafayette Manor dress code policy.
• Safely perform essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Work alone or with other staff member giving total care or assisting residents according to individualized care plan with:
• Bed bath, tub bath or shower.
• Dental care, hair and nail care, shaving, dressing and undressing, and application of make up.
• Elimination needs, including toileting by offering bedpan, urinal or taking resident to the bathroom or emptying of Foley catheter bags and accurate documentation of outputs.
• Ambulate, transfer, and/or position by using assistive devices such as a walker, wheelchair, Geri chair, Hoyer or electric lift, gait belt, and lift sheets.
• Perform range of motion therapy with cares.
• Answer all call lights promptly, even if resident is not assigned to you.
• Take and record temperature, pulse, respiration, and blood pressure and oxygen height & weight saturation.
• Perform restorative exercise programs as set up and monitored by the skilled therapy staff, under the direct supervision of the nursing staff.
• Ambulate residents.
• Perform range of motion exercises designed to restore or maintain range of motion.
• Conduct groups designed to maintain or restore range of motion, strength, and/or ambulation abilities.
• Document all treatment programs.
• Communicate to the nursing staff the need to update programs, per recommendations of the skilled therapy staff.
• Feed resident, while maintaining intake and recording output as requested, and weigh resident as instructed.
• Observe and report physical and/or behavioral changes in resident immediately to charge nurse.
• Accompany resident, if needed, when transported to hospital, clinic or other facilities.
• Perform all functions in a professional, calm manner in emergency situations.
• Complete Incident Reports, do routine charting, and record resident information onto flow sheets.
• Work tactfully and cooperatively with resident families, visitors and staff.
• Know and follow existing lines of communication and authority. Participate in Nursing reports.
• Perform all resident care as assigned and according to nursing department’s policies and procedures.
• Participate in activities for cognitively impaired residents as directed.
• Assist with admission, transfer, and discharge of residents.
• Assist with post mortem care. (Care of resident after death).
• Perform care for residents in isolation.
• Collect specimens as directed.
• Attend required departmental meetings, seminars and all mandatory in-services.
• Share responsibility for preparation, proper use and care of equipment and supplies, to assure the neatness and cleanliness of entire unit.
• Clean resident rooms and equipment such as utensils, bedpans, urinals, closets and drawers.
• Maintain the confidentiality of resident information and records at all times.
• Assure that all Resident Rights are maintained at all times.
• Report any violation or suspected deviations according to Lafayette Manor Policy.
• Provide for the safety of the resident in use of side rails, mechanical supports, restraints, etc., as instructed according to applicable facility, State and Federal regulations, and document on appropriate flow sheet.
• Answer questions within knowledge of environment and within restrictions of role.
• Refer people, inquiries, and any problems to charge nurse.
• Follow all safety, security, infection control (including Standard Precautions) and hazardous materials policies and procedures.
• Perform all tasks to assure resident and personal safety and the protection of Lafayette Manor property.
• Ability to apply principals of aseptic techniques.
The above Job Duties and Responsibilities include many, but not all of the duties expected of a CNA. Additional duties can be delegated by the Charge Nurse, LPN, ADON, or DON.
Physical / Mental Requirements:
Must have the ability to lift/carry objects such as resident charts, thermometers, linens, resident care items and appliances, etc., on a regular basis which may weigh up to 20 lbs. and occasionally up to 50 lbs. without assistance.
• Ability to transfer, lift, move and turn a resident into or from a bed, wheelchair, Hoyer or electric lift, toilet, tub and shower, and occasionally the floor with assistance.
• Requires varying degrees of pushing, pulling, and lifting due to the differences in resident weights, laundry bags, and food carts.
Manual Dexterity –
• Must be able to continuously perform simple manipulative tasks such as the equipment listed above, as well as safety pins, buttons, snaps, buckles, and tie strings.
• Occasionally perform difficult manipulative tasks.
Equipment Used –
• Phone system, electronic time clock, emergency call/intercom system, Wanderguard System, bed and chair alarms, microwave oven, adaptive devices, wheelchairs, Blood Pressure equipment, Apollo tub, walker, cane, chair scale, commode, electric bed, electric wheelchair, gait belt, Geri chair, gloves (vinyl, rubber), Hoyer lift, electric lift, hamper, isolation apparel, linen cart, nail clipper, razor (manual/electric), serving trays, switches, electronic thermometers, and oxygen saturation machine.
Employee Responsibility in an Emergency:
As an employee of Lafayette Manor, you are expected to respond to emergency situations involving the safety of residents, other employees, and the facility. This includes the ability to assist with a possible evacuation of residents.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive. The employee will also perform other reasonable job related duties as assigned by the supervisor or other nursing management personnel. This document is for management communication only and not intended to imply a written or implied contract of employment.