The Wisconsin Counties Association (WCA) has issued the following statement from WCA Executive Director Mark D. O’Connell on the Tuesday, April 7...(read more)
The WCA Annual Conference. WCA board meetings. Educational seminars. These are just a few of the many events the association plans, promotes and execute every year. From scheduling speakers to securing room blocks, an important part of the operations of the association come in the form of event coordination.
WCA ANNUAL CONFERENCE
The conference is held every fall in various locations around the state and is a unique opportunity for county officials to come together and learn from one another, as well as receive updates on county issues. Please join us September 20-22 in Sauk County.
WCA also hosts the "WCA Marketplace" in conjunction with the conference that features vendors offering services and goods to county government.
Each February, WCA holds its annual Legislative Exchange in Madison. The two-day meeting provides a briefing on legislative proposals affecting counties and reports by WCA legislative staff and state officials.
- North Central District Meeting
- May 7, 2020 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
- Fairfield Inn by Marriott
- 7100 Stonde Ridge Drive
- Weston, WI 54476
- Phone: (715) 241-8400
Counties: Florence, Forest, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Marinette, Menominee, Oconto, Oneida, Portage, Shawano, Vilas, Waupaca, Waushara, and Wood
2020 WCA Annual Legislative Exchange
Madison Concourse Hotel (Map)
1 West Dayton Street
Madison, WI 53703
The two-day meeting provides a briefing on legislative proposals affecting counties and reports by WCA legislative staff and state officials.
Early Registration Begins: 12/13/2019
Late Registration Ends: 1/17/2020
DELEGATE REGISTRATION FEES
WCA Member County Delegate - $150.00 (Late Registration Fee: $160.00)
State Official/Employee or Private Sector - $225.00 (Late Registration Fee: $240.00)
TUESDAY SPOUSE/GUEST FOOD TICKETS
WCA Member Spouse/Guest Tuesday Lunch Ticket - $16.00 (Late Registration Fee: $16.00)
Non-Member Spouse/Guest Tuesday Lunch Ticket - $25.00 (Late Registration Fee: $25.00)
WEDNESDAY SPOUSE/GUEST FOOD TICKETS
WCA Member Spouse/Guest Wednesday Breakfast Ticket - $16.00 (Late Registration Fee: $16.00)
Non-Member Wednesday Spouse/Guest Breakfast Ticket - $25.00 (Late Registration Fee: $25.00)
WCA Member Spouse/Guest Wednesday Boxed Lunch Ticket - $10.00 (Late Registration Fee: $10.00)
Non-Member Wednesday Spouse/Guest Boxed Lunch Ticket - $10.00 (Late Registration Fee: $10.00)
WCA COUNTY RECEPTION
WCA Member County Delegate - $0.00 (Late Registration Fee: $0.00)
State Official/Employee or Private Sector - $0.00 (Late Registration Fee: $0.00)
WCA COUNTY RECEPTION SPOUSE/GUEST
WCA Member County Spouse/Guest - $0.00 (Late Registration Fee: $0.00)
State Official/Employee or Private Sector Spouse/Guest - $0.00 (Late Registration Fee: $0.00)
For information contact:
Cheryl A. Fleck -- Email
The conference is held every fall in various locations around the state and is a unique opportunity for county officials to come together and learn from one another, as well as receive updates on county issues. WCA also hosts the "WCA Marketplace" in conjunction with the conference that features vendors offering services and goods to county government.
2020 Annual Conference & Marketplace
September 20-22, 2020
Kalahari Resort and Convention Center
1305 Kalahari Dr, Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965
WCA Annual Conference
» Registration opens May 1, 2020
Contact Cheryl Fleck, WCA Marketing and Events Manager at 866.404.2700 or via email.
WCA sponsors educational seminars on a regular basis to keep county officials informed on changing laws and county responsibilities in a variety of programs. Please check here for topics for upcoming seminars, as well CLE credits.
|8/28/17||Navigating Issues Related to Public Safety Bargaining, Discipline, Investigating Officer Involved Deaths and Recent Legal Decisions Impacting Law Enforcement||4.5 hours|
2016 CLE Credits
|1/25/16||County Board Organizational Meeting||4.5 hours|
|2/29/16||Just Fix It||1 hour|
|5/23/16||Contracting 101: A Legal Perspective||1 hour|
|7/25/16||Navigating Employment Regulations and Investing in Effective Personnel Practices||2 hours|
|8/22/16||Open Meetings, Public Records, and Drafting Meeting Notices: What Every County Official Should Know||2 hours|
For a complete listing of CLE credits approved by the Supreme Court of Wisconsin's Board of Bar Examiners click here.
2020 WCA Legislative Exchange
- State of Wisconsin Investment Board: David Villa (2/4/2020)
- Wisconsin Rural Decline in a National Context: Dale Knapp Forward Analytics (2/4/2020)
2020 WCA Webinars
- 2020 U.S. Census Webinar (2/24/2020)
- WCA hosted a webinar on the U.S.Census, which featured Becky Schigiel of the U.S. Census Bureau.
Watch the February 24, 2020 WCA webinar on the U.S. Census by clicking here.
2020 WCA Educational Seminars
- Preparing for the County Board Organization Meeting and Orientation for Newly Elected county Board Supervisors (1/13/2020)
This seminar will cover in detail, county government authority, roles and responsibilities of county supervisors, election of officers, adoption of the county board's procedural rules, and county board organization. Topics also include committee structure; how committee members are appointed; resolutions and ordinances and how they are introduced and processed; and, agendas and who is responsible for them and how items get on the agenda. Eau Claire County officials will also present information on their orientation program for newly elected county supervisors.
- County Government Authority, Administrative Structure Options, and the Roles and Responsibilities of County Board Members (1/13/2020)
- County Board Organizational Meeting (1/13/2020)
- Running Effective Meetings - Rules of Decorum (1/13/2020)
- 2020 Wisconsin Counties Association Board Orientation (1/13/2020)
- Three Forms of County Government (1/13/2020)
- Basic Information on Motions (1/13/2020)
- County Supervisor Job Description (1/13/2020)
- Questions on Roles and Responsibilities Presentation (1/13/2020)
- Wi County Code Administrators: The Latest and Greatest on Zoning WisconsinGovernment Structure Map (2018) (1/13/2020)
2019 WCA Webinars
- Update on Forward Analytics Research (12/16/2019)
- During this webinar, we will discuss Forward Analytics latest research on job creation in Wisconsin; i.e., what kinds of jobs are being created and what that might mean for counties. You will also learn about some exciting research currently in progress, including a major project on rural depopulation both in Wisconsin and nationally. Speaker: Dale Knapp - Forward Analytics
- Water Quality in Wisconsin-Where We're At (9/11/2019)
- Matt Krueger, Executive Director, WI Land+Water will be presenting a one hour webinar providing you with: an introduction to WI Land+Water; an overview of water quality in Wisconsin; water quality improvement "toolbox"; water quality challenges and water quality successes.
- Public Safety's Journey to the Cloud (8/5/2019)
- During this hour webinar, you will learn how public safety applications are moving to the cloud, security fundamentals of cloud computing and securing your data and how to migrate your on premise solutions at your own pace to the cloud. Speaker: Karen Carlson - Motorola Solutions, Inc.
- Agenda & Minutes for County Board & Committee Meetings (7/22/2019)
- It is important for county officials, the public and the media to easily view agendas and meeting minutes.
This July 22, 2019 webinar focused on topics such as: where are the sources of procedural rules, who is responsible for setting and posting agendas, what are the public notice requirements, information on closed sessions, what is required to be included in meeting minutes, and what is the proper way to correct minutes of previous meetings.
- WEXA Webinar (5/30/2019)
- View the May 30, 2019 WEXA webinar here.
- A Practical Approach to Cyber Security (5/20/2019)
County governments rely on technology to deliver services to citizens, and the infrastructure behind these technology systems is under near-constant attack. This educational session will focus on practical ways that municipal governments can think about and respond to the risks associated with cyber security. Speaker - Sean Maday, Google Cloud, Cloud Engineer - Government
Listen to the 05/20/19 webinar here.
- Next Generation 9-1-1 and What It Means for Your County - Now (3/25/2019)
The future of 9-1-1 is now. Your 9-1-1 Agencies are facing a paradigm shift requiring them to implement new technology in order to accept text messages, images, video and other data to come. A crucial component of the paradigm shift is the move to IP, affecting how calls are routed and enabling communication across jurisdictions. Find out about the challenges affecting 9-1-1 Agencies in this new world and how to safely overcome them. Join our free webinar, hosted by Motorola Solutions, and learn what this vital service must do to better meet citizen expectations. Speaker - Tim Miller, NGCS Business, Motorola Solutions
Listen to the 03/25/19 webinar here.
- Digital Counties Outcomes & What Comes Next (1/21/2019)
The Digital County Symposium was a three-event series held in Eau Claire, Green Bay, and Cedarburg over the last 12 months sponsored by the Wisconsin Counties Association. This was a collaborative effort to reimagine how counties can provide various services while using modern technologies like Artificial Intelligence. This early vision has transitioned to a reality as Advancing AI Wisconsin's "The Digital County-Documentation of Outcomes" recaps the journey of 14 working groups and provides a detailed summary of the events. But what is the next step?
Oliver Buechse, My Strategy Source will host this webinar to discuss the outcomes of the Digital County events and provide ideas on how counties might take the next steps in artificial intelligence through the services they provide.
Listen to the 01/21/19 webinar here.
2019 WCA Annual Conference
- Tuesday 9:30 a.m. Session-Evidence-Based Decision Making: County Examples (9/24/2019)
- Tuesday 9:30 a.m. Session-Wisconsin Extension Committees Update (9/24/2019)
- Tuesday 8:30 a.m. Session-County Redistricting (9/24/2019)
- Tuesday 8:30 a.m. Session-County Mental Health Programming (9/24/2019)
- Tuesday 8:30 a.m. Session-County Mental Health Programming: St. Croix County (9/24/2019)
- Tuesday 10:30 a.m. Session-Embracing the Cloud for IT Efficiencies (9/24/2019)
- Tuesday 10:30 a.m. Session-Organizational Culture of Continuous Improvement (9/24/2019)
- Tuesday 10:30 a.m. Session-Badger State Sheriffs Emergency Detentions (9/24/2019)
- Tuesday 10:30 a.m. Session-Ready for 2030? How Coming Demographic Changes Will Impact Counties (9/24/2019)
- Tuesday 9:30 a.m. Session-WEXA Committee Updates (9/24/2019)
- Challenges to Groundwater Quality & Quantity (9/24/2019)
- Monday 1:45 p.m. Session-Utilizing the Talent of Veterans (9/23/2019)
- Monday 1:45 p.m. Session-Broadband Expansion in Wisconsin (9/23/2019)
- Monday 2:45 p.m. Session-NextGeneration 911 (9/23/2019)
- Monday 2:45 p.m. Session-Steps for Your County to Address Workforce & Senior Housing (9/23/2019)
- Monday 3:45 p.m. Session-Managing Bond Proceeds (9/23/2019)
- Tuesday 9:30 a.m. Session-Wisconsin Energy Status (9/23/2019)
- Tuesday 9:30 a.m. Session- Digital Counties Progress from Brown and Racine Counties (9/23/2019)
- Monday 1:45 p.m. Session-Becoming a Debt-Free County (9/23/2019)
- Monday 3:45 p.m. Session-The Attack on Qualified Immunity (9/23/2019)
- Monday 3:45 p.m. Session-Elections Security (9/23/2019)
- Monday 1:45 p.m. Session-Water Quality Task Force (9/23/2019)
- Monday 3:45 Session-Future Regions: Local Governments Forging a New Path (9/23/2019)
- Monday 3:45 Session-The Opioid and Meth Epidemic's Impact on Child Welfare Services (9/23/2019)
2019 WCA Educational Seminars
- Changing Demographics and Their Impact on Wisconsin Counties (8/19/2019)
Wisconsin's population is going through a transformation unlike anything we have seen in the past. We have a rapidly growing senior population at the same time that births have been on the decline for a decade.In addition to an overview of the demographic challenges the state and its 72 counties face, we will explore: how changing demography is affecting the workforce; how an aging population will create significant challenges for counties; and how shifting migration patterns could help or hinder these challenges.The challenges created by our demographic shift are broad, making this seminar informative for county employees working in nearly all areas. County employees working with aging issues or economic development will find the topics particularly relevant.
- Is Demography Destiny? Or Can Migration Save Us? (8/19/2019)
- The Impact of an Aging Population on Counties (8/19/2019)
- Impact of Home & Community Based Services (8/19/2019)
- Wisconsin's Growing Workforce Challenges (8/19/2019)
- Wisconsin Demography: Present Profile and Future Trajectory (8/19/2019)
- Fraud Risk, Awareness, Prevention, Management, and Response (6/17/2019)
Is your county taking steps to ensure financial fraud does not occur? What is the role of county elected officials and county employees in managing risk related to fraud? Who is responsible to put processes and procedures in place to prevent fraudulent activity? This WCA Educational Seminar offers county officials an opportunity to hear from experts on how to create awareness of fraud risk, prevent, manage, and create internal controls opportunities to mitigate the risk of fraud. You will also hear examples of schemes where fraud occurred in other organizations.
- Fraud Awareness and Management in County Government (6/17/2019)
- Fraud Risks in Current Times (6/17/2019)
- Fraud Prevention (6/17/2019)
- We Have Fraud - Now What? (6/17/2019)
- Environment and Land Use: How Counties Protect Land & Water (4/22/2019)
Wisconsin Counties Association (WCA) is excited to host a panel of experts to explore a variety of environment and land use issues, including water quality, zoning, land use planning, and recycling. At a time when the state has identified clean drinking water as a top priority, it is important to hear how the landscape is changing from an environmental standpoint. Communities across Wisconsin are finding innovative approaches to environment and land use and Wisconsin's counties are at the forefront of this innovation. This seminar will provide an overview of what counties are doing to provide citizens with smart planning, abundant natural resources, as well as interesting approaches to making the most out of those precious state resources.
- Doing Our Part! How Municipal Waste & Recycling Programs Protect the Environment (4/22/2019)
- WI County Code Administrators: The Latest and Greatest on Zoning Wisconsin (4/22/2019)
- County Conservation Funding, Forests, and Groundwater Protection in Wisconsin (4/22/2019)
- How Counties Protect Land and Water (4/22/2019)
- The Opioid and Meth Epidemic: What Counties Can Do To Ease Wisconsin's Drug Epidemic (2/18/2019)
The methamphetamine and opioid epidemic has hit the nation hard. Wisconsin's counties face the epidemic daily on many fronts, including child welfare services, county jails, public health departments, and social/human services departments. Many counties are addressing the meth and opioid epidemic head on and are implementing programs at the local level to address the needs of those struggling with addiction. This seminar will provide an overview of the meth and opioid crisis in Wisconsin, as well as highlight several local programs aimed at curbing the negative impacts meth and opioid use have on communities across the state.
- Wisconsin's Opioid Crisis (2/18/2019)
- Dane County's Jail Opiate Project (2/18/2019)
- Opiate Recovery Project Treatment Services Informed Consent (2/18/2019)
- Client Expectations once they are involved in the Vivitrol Program (2/18/2019)
- Vivitrol Brochure (2/18/2019)
- Sauk County Overdose Death Review Team (2/18/2019)
- Kenosha County Opioid Initiative (2/18/2019)
- Overview of Meth Epidemic In Wisconsin (2/18/2019)
- KNOW METH Initiative (2/18/2019)
- KNOW METH Barron County (2/18/2019)