With elections over and a new legislative session around the corner, the Wisconsin Counties Association has released their 2019-2020 WCA Legislative Agenda....(read more)
WCA Summary of 2017-2019 Wisconsin State Biennial Budget
- Posted on March 9, 2017
Governor Scott Walker released his proposed state budget to a joint session of the Legislature on February 8, 2017. The budget is introduced as Assembly Bill 64 / Senate Bill 30.
Highlights of the Governor’s two-year spending plan include:
- An additional $649 million for K-12 education
- An additional $140 million for the UW system, which includes a 5 percent tuition cut
- Elimination of state prevailing wage
- Elimination of the state forestry property tax levy
- Reducing the two lowest individual income tax brackets by 0.1 percent each
- Transitioning to a self-insurance model for state employees
- Two-year technical college tuition freeze
The WCA Government Affairs staff has prepared the following summary of provisions in the Governor’s budget that are likely to affect counties:
WCA will continue to provide members with additional information about the budget as it becomes available. Please stay tuned to the WCA website for ongoing updates.