With elections over and a new legislative session around the corner, the Wisconsin Counties Association has released their 2019-2020 WCA Legislative Agenda....(read more)
CALL TO ACTION: 911 Funding
- Posted on April 24, 2017
The Wisconsin Counties Association (WCA) has identified 911 funding as one of its top priorities for the 2017-19 state biennial budget. Over the past nine months, WCA has worked with the telecommunications industry, emergency management associations, and the law enforcement community on a legislative proposal to begin the transition to NextGeneration (NG) 911 in Wisconsin.
The proposal is the first step towards transitioning to NG911 and requests the state invest in a statewide emergency services IP network that will provide the initial infrastructure required for county 911 centers to utilize today's digital technology (e.g., texting, video, etc.). WCA and its coalition partners are working directly with Joint Finance Committee members, Representative Mary Felzkowski and Senator Sheila Harsdorf, to include the 911 plan in the state budget.
WCA REQUESTS THAT COUNTY OFFICIALS CONTACT THEIR STATE LEGISLATORS IMMEDIATELY TO ASK THAT THEY SUPPORT THE 911 BUDGET AMENDMENT BEING PROPOSED BY REPRESENTATIVE FELZKOWSKI AND SENATOR HARSDORF.
Below you will find talking points associated with the 911 proposal. After contacting your legislators, please email Chelsea Fibert with the names of the legislators that you contacted so WCA's Government Affairs staff can follow-up directly with the legislative office.
Thank you in advance for your assistance of WCA's advocacy efforts and please contact the WCA Government Affairs staff with any questions.
NextGeneration 911 TALKING POINTS:
- The state must take immediate action as current 911 equipment will be obsolete or cost prohibitive to maintain by mid-2017. Delaying the NG911 transition presents serious public safety concerns as 911 systems are increasingly at risk of failure.
- The $7 million being requested in this proposal for the state to issue an RFP for the building of a statewide network is a relatively small state investment compared to requests made in previous budgets.
- The state must play a role in the creation of a statewide network as it would be cost prohibitive and financially unattainable for individual counties to build the network on their own.
- Wisconsin lags its neighboring states with its lack of a statewide emergency services IP network. NG911 transition efforts have been underway in other states for more than 10 years.
- 911 modernization is critical to ensuring public safety.