Changing demographics. Millennials. The state’s fiscal health. Birth rates. Job creation. The list of issues that impact the direction and trajectory...(read more)
WCA Annual Conference Success: Annual Video and Handouts Now Online
- Posted on September 27, 2018
County officials from around Wisconsin gathered at the 2018 WCA Annual Conference September 23-25, 2018 in La Crosse County.
"The 2018 WCA Annual Conference was an incredibly successful event, with county officials coming together to network, share ideas, and listen to state and federal speakers," said WCA Executive Director Mark D. O'Connell. "The conference is one of the highlights of our year. We are proud to have offered opportunities for attendees to engage on many levels on timely issues, ask questions and find solutions for their counties."
2018 WCA Annual Conference Highlights and Resources
- View the 2018 WCA Annual Conference video, "Perspectives," here.
- To view handouts from workshops held during the 2018 WCA Annual Conference, click here. Note that documents are added as they come into WCA.
- Listen to the "#LocalGovMatters: Live at the Wisconsin Counties Association" podcast here. #LocalGovMatters is a collaboration between WCA, the League of Wisconsin Municipalities and The Wheeler Report.
- County officials recorded at the WCA Annual Conference as a part of the podcast included: Tara Johnson, La Crosse County; Ted Cushing: Oneida County; Jeannette Bomberg, Florence County; Allen Buechel, Fond du Lac County; Colleen Bates, Eau Claire County; Lance Pliml, Wood County; David Bartlett, Wood County; Vern Gove, Columbia County; Thomas Egan, Winnebago County; Jeanne Dodge, Portage County and Mark O’Connell, Executive Director of the Wisconsin Counties Association.
- See photos from the WCA Annual Conference here.
Sunday, September 23, 2018 WCA Annual Business Meeting
The WCA Annual Business Meeting was held Sunday, where county board chairs or their designees discussed 59 resolutions that came before the body. Resolutions that were acted upon and passed at the meeting will be placed in the WCA Platform, the foundation of the association's legislative efforts.
Monday, September 24, 2018: Opening General Assembly
Speakers at the WCA Opening General Assembly included:
- Lance Pliml, Chair, WCA Board of Directors
- Tara Johnson, County Board Chair, La Crosse County
- Ron Kind, U.S. Representative, Wisconsin 3rd Congressional District
- Scott Walker, Governor, Gubernatorial Candidate
- Greg Cox, President, National Association of Counties (NACo)
- Opioid Litigation Update: Andrew Phillips, Attorney, von Briesen & Roper, S.C.
- Discover Wisconsin 2019 Calendar Photo Contest Winners
- Friend In County Government Award Winner Nan Kottke, Marathon County Clerk
- Friend Of County Government Award Winner Matt Chase, NACo Executive Director
- Mark D. O'Connell, Executive Director, Wisconsin Counties Association
- Tony Evers, State Superintendent of Schools, Gubernatorial Candidate
- Leah Vukmir, U.S. Senate Candidate
Tuesday, September 25, 2018: Closing General Assembly
Speakers at the Closing General Assembly included:
- Doug Looney, National Program Director-North, U.S. Communities
- Bill Stainton, "The 5 Best Decisions the Beatles Ever Made...and Why You Should Make Them Too!"
See You Next Year at the 2019 WCA Annual Conference in Sauk County!
The conference is held every fall in various locations around the state and is a unique opportunity for county officials to come together and learn from one another, as well as receive updates on county issues. WCA also hosts the "WCA Marketplace" in conjunction with the conference that features vendors offering services and goods to county government.
Next year's WCA Annual Conference will be held September 22-24, 2019 in Sauk County. For more information on the 2019 WCA Annual Conference, click here.
For questions about the event, contact WCA Marketing and Events Manager Cheryl Fleck at 866.404.2700.