Handouts from concurrent workshops held during the 2017 WCA Annual Conference, held September 24-26, 2017 in Sauk County, are now online. See 2017 WCA...(read more)
Town of Conover, Vilas County; Photographer: Frank Cademartori
- County Seat:
- Eagle River
- Contact Info:
330 Court St.
Eagle River, WI 54521
- County Info:
- Vilas County, created in 1893 from Oneida County, is named for William Vilas, a Civil War officer, postmaster general, secretary of the interior and Wisconsin senator. Located in northeast Wisconsin, the county seat is Eagle River.
- WCA District:
- North Central
- Land Area:
- 868 sq. miles
- 1,647 ft. at Eagle River; 1,869 ft. at Monahan Lake Fire Tower; 1,845 ft. at Muskellunge Hill
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 93,923 acres (146.7 sq. miles)
- Manitowish, Trout, Wisconsin, Eagle
- Major Watershed:
- Lake Superior (North), Chippewa River (West), Wisconsin River (East)
- Geographical Province:
- Northern Highland
- Northern half: Maple, hemlock and yellow birch. Southern half: White and red pine, areas of black spruce, tamarack and cedar. Northeast: Small area of jack pine and prairie grasses.
- 1930: 7,294