Handouts from concurrent workshops held during the 2017 WCA Annual Conference, held September 24-26, 2017 in Sauk County, are now online. See 2017 WCA...(read more)
Town of Cornucopia, Bayfield County; Photographer: Chad Briesemeister
- County Seat:
- Contact Info:
117 E. 5th St.
Washburn, WI 54891
- County Info:
- Bayfield County (originally LaPointe County), created in 1845 from Ashland County, is named after Henry Bayfield, the British Naval Lieutenant who made the first survey of the Great Lakes area.
- WCA District:
- Land Area:
- 1,476.25 sq. miles
- Water Area:
- 565.28 sq. miles
- 654 ft. at Washburn; 1,368 ft. at Bayfield Lookout Tower
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 22,629 acres (35.36 sq. miles)
- East Fork Iron, Flag, Iron, Marengo, Namekagon, Oune, Sand, Sioux
- Major Watershed:
- Lake Superior, St. Croix River (Southwest)
- Geographical Province:
- Northern Highlands; North and East: Lake Superior Lowlands
- Southeast and South Central: Maple, hemlock and yellow birch forests; small areas of white and red pine; conifer swamps of black spruce, tamarack and cedar. Northern coast: Balsam fir, white spruce. North: Red pine, white pine, jack pine and prairie grasses.
- 1930: 15,006