Every autumn for the last 81 years, county officials from around the state have gathered at the Wisconsin Counties Association’s (WCA) Annual Conference...(read more)
Town of Crivitz, Marinette County; Photographer: Terry McNeill
- County Seat:
- Contact Info:
1926 Hall Ave.
Marinette, WI 54143
- County Info:
- Marinette County, created in 1879 from Oconto County, is named after "Queen" Marinette, a 19th Century trading post owner who was the daughter of a Menominee princess and a French-Canadian trapper. Located in northeast Wisconsin, the county seat is Marinette.
- WCA District:
- North Central
- Land Area:
- 1,402.0 sq. miles
- 598 ft. at Marinette; 1,650 ft. at McCaslin Mountain; 1,410 ft. at Thunder Mountain
- Number Lakes:
- Area in Lakes:
- 13,735 acres (21.46 sq. miles)
- Little Peshtigo, Menominee, Pewmebonwon, Peshtigo, Pike, Rat, Thunder, Wausaukee
- Major Watershed:
- Lake Michigan
- Geographical Province:
- Northwest: Northern Highland; Central: Central Plain; Southeast: Eastern Ridges and Lowlands
- North, Northeast and Southeast: Maple, hemlock and yellow birch. Central: An area of jack pine and prairie grasses with white and red pine in the north and east. North and Central: Small areas of conifer swamp.
- 1930: 33,530