Handouts from concurrent workshops held during the 2017 WCA Annual Conference, held September 24-26, 2017 in Sauk County, are now online. See 2017 WCA...(read more)
The WCA Annual Conference. WCA board meetings. Educational seminars. These are just a few of the many events the association plans, promotes and execute every year. From scheduling speakers to securing room blocks, an important part of the operations of the association come in the form of event coordination.
WCA ANNUAL CONFERENCE
The conference is held every fall in various locations around the state and is a unique opportunity for county officials to come together and learn from one another, as well as receive updates on county issues.
- » 2017 WCA Annual Conference Tentative Agenda
- » Hotel Map
- » Register online for the 2017 WCA Annual Conference
- » Conference Hotel Room Block Info
WCA also hosts the "WCA Marketplace" in conjunction with the conference that features vendors offering services and goods to county government.
- » See our new video on the benefits of the WCA Marketplace here!
- » Learn more about the 2017 WCA Marketplace
- » Be a sponsor or exhibitor by filling out our simple online form
Each February, WCA holds its annual Legislative Exchange in Madison. The two-day meeting provides a briefing on legislative proposals affecting counties and reports by WCA legislative staff and state officials.
- WCA Judicial and Public Safety Steering Committee Meeting
- October 20, 2017 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM
- Holiday Inn Madison at the American Center
- 5109 W Terrace Drive
- Madison, WI 53718
- For information contact:
- Marcie Rainbolt -- Email
The conference is held every fall in various locations around the state and is a unique opportunity for county officials to come together and learn from one another, as well as receive updates on county issues. WCA also hosts the "WCA Marketplace" in conjunction with the conference that features vendors offering services and goods to county government.
2018 Annual Conference & Marketplace
September 23-25, 2018
300 Harborview Plaza
La Crosse, WI 54601
La Crosse Center (Map)
Exhibitor or Sponsor» Learn more about the WCA Marketplace
» Be a sponsor or exhibitor by filling out our simple online form
» See our new video on the benefits of the WCA Marketplace here!
Contact Cheryl Fleck, WCA Marketing and Events Manager at 866.404.2700 or via email.
WCA sponsors educational seminars on a regular basis to keep county officials informed on changing laws and county responsibilities in a variety of programs. Please check here for topics for upcoming seminars, as well CLE credits.
|1/25/16||County Board Organizational Meeting||4.5 hours|
|2/29/16||Just Fix It||1 hour|
|5/23/16||Contracting 101: A Legal Perspective||1 hour|
|7/25/16||Navigating Employment Regulations and Investing in Effective Personnel Practices||2 hours|
|8/22/16||Open Meetings, Public Records, and Drafting Meeting Notices: What Every County Official Should Know||2 hours|
2015 CLE Credits
|4/20/15||Emergency Management for Counties||3.5 hours|
|6/22/15||Implements of Husbandry - Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow||4.5 hours|
|7/20/15||Construction Contracts Made Easy||4.5 hours|
|8/17/15||Broadband Development and the Role of County Government||4.5 hours|
|10/19/15||Sustainability Success Stories||1 hour|
|11/16/15||Fraud Risk, Awareness, Prevention, Management and Response||4.5 hours|
|12/14/15||Evaluating Your County Departments||1 hour|
For a complete listing of CLE credits approved by the Supreme Court of Wisconsin's Board of Bar Examiners click here.
2017 WCA Educational Seminars
- Navigating Issues Related to Public Safety Bargaining, Discipline, Investigating Officer Involved Deaths and Recent Legal Decisions Impacting Law Enforcement (8/28/2017)
- Are you and your personnel departments fully aware of the current trends in public safety bargaining? Is there anything new with the Wisconsin Employment Relations Commission? Are you aware of the Department of Justice guidance regarding investigating officer involved deaths? How do you properly discipline public safety employees? How do you manage off-duty misconduct issues? Are you aware of recent labor, employment and open meeting cases impacting law enforcement? This session presents a wonderful follow-up opportunity to dig deeper following the March workshop relating to public safety employee personnel issues. But even if you weren't able to attend the March workshop, the topics are designed to provide fresh content. This WCA Educational Seminar offers county officials an opportunity to hear from experts on each of theses issues.
- Example Proposal of Von Briesen County to Police Association, Local 1234546789 for a Successor Collective Bargaining Agreement (8/28/2017)
- What You Need to Know about the Wisconsin Department of Justice's New General Investigative Guidelines for Officer-Involved Death Investigations (8/28/2017)
- Immigration Issues: Sanctuary Cities, Local Authority and Possible Scenarios Coming to a Location Near You (8/28/2017)
- Strategies for Effective and Efficient Bargaining Relationships with Public Safety Employees (3/27/2017)
- Act 10 changed the public sector labor landscape in Wisconsin - for every employee except those involved in firefighting, EMS and law enforcement. While many of the "old" rules remain, the game has changed and counties should understand the issues they are likely to confront in order to develop an effective strategy for working with public safety employees. Join us for a timely and informative session on collective bargaining and other employment-related issues with public safety employees. Our panel of experts will guide you through the latest and greatest concerns facing counties as municipal employers and, as well, give you the tools you need to succeed at the bargaining table.
- "Rules of the Road" Interest Arbitration Lessons Learned (3/27/2017)
- 2017 Legal Update: Wisconsin Counties Association WERC Update & Public Records and Open Meetings (3/27/2017)
- 2017 Legal Update: Wisconsin Counties Association Discipline and Discharge of Sheriff's Department Deputies: The Grievance and Statutory Process (3/27/2017)
- Public Sector Construction Fundamentals: Doing Right Costs Less Than Doing It Over - Nine Practical Contracting Tips to Help Bring Your Project in On-Time and On-Budget (1/23/2017)
- On January 23, 2017 WCA held an educational seminar to discuss the latest trends in public construction and learn from industry professionals the "ins and outs" of construction contracts. The workshop will start with an exploration of the public sector contracting world without prevailing wage - legal and practical implications. From there, you will hear from public sector and private sector attorneys on their views on construction contracts - what to look for and, more importantly, what to avoid. Finally, a panel will explore the emerging world of public private partnerships or P3s. As tensions on government budgets grow, the public sector is looking to partner with the private sector on public projects. What does this mean and what opportunities exist?
- Public Sector Construction Fundamentals: Doing Right Costs Less Than Doing It Over - Public Private Partnerships (P3): The Latest Trends (1/23/2017)
- Public Sector Construction Fundamentals: Doing Right Costs Less Than Doing It Over - A Brief Introduction...Public Construction in 2017 and Beyond (1/23/2017)
- Public Sector Construction Fundamentals: Doing Right Costs Less Than Doing It Over - Merit Contracting: Public Contracting After the Repeal of Prevailing Wage (1/23/2017)
- Public Sector Construction Fundamentals: Doing Right Costs Less Than Doing It Over - Prevailing Wage Cheatsheet (1/23/2017)
- Public Sector Construction Fundamentals: Doing Right Costs Less Than Doing It Over - Best Practices for Administering a Quality Bid Process (1/23/2017)